Are We Safe Anymore?

Stop violence. Pxfuel.

Sydney Feamster, Staff Writer

The world is changing fast, and not all of the changes are good. If you compare the violence in the world from the early 2000s to now it is unbelievable. In 2017, for example, the homicide rate hit almost half a million. Gun violence and road rage have been around for years, but in 2020 the number of fatal incidents in the U.S. involving guns and vehicles hit a high, according to CBS News.

It is beginning to feel like no one is safe anywhere. If a person goes out in public, no matter if it is to pick up groceries, attend a baseball game, or take a walk in the park, they are taking a chance on being shot. Some students even feel nervous about attending school because they are afraid they could be the next victim of a school shooting, like the recent Nashville tragedy. 

Many people each year are injured or killed due to road rage. According to CBS News, one father was murdered because his windshield fluid splashed onto another car’s windshield. There must be some way we can all be around each other without all the violence. Where did it come from? When is it going to stop? How can so many people take other people’s lives?

There is not just one answer when it comes to what drives these murderers to do what they do, but it seems like it is the lack of self-control. People need to learn how to control themselves, and until they decide to do that, there is nothing the rest of us can do. Not everyone is out there to get them; not everyone is mean. If these killers go to jail, they still don’t understand that what they did is wrong. They don’t feel the pain that the families feel when they get the news that their child or family member is dead. Convicted killers are still living. Their families can still visit them in jail, but the people they murdered and their families never even have the chance to say goodbye. Capital punishment is a fitting punishment for people who commit homicide. They should be punished in the same way that they murdered someone else.