The Annual Concord Business Challenge

Concord University campus map.

Myrna Hamilton, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On October 27, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) students from GEHS and other West Virginia high schools gathered at Concord University for Concord’s 29th annual Business Challenge, a statewide competition that tests who has the best business skills. At stake were scholarship awards of $1,000 for ten winners and $4,000 for a single winner. Students also competed to place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in various testing categories.

The business battle was a fun and educational experience. I was able to meet new people as well as to see my friends from other schools. GEHS junior Lexi Dickenson agreed: “It was a great opportunity to meet new people and to use our skills and knowledge to compete in different business competitions,” she said. “It is a great way for us to help with college and our career in business.”

While on campus, students ate breakfast, walked themselves around campus to their testing sites, and were served lunch in the student dining hall. The experience as a whole was as if you were to spend a day at college, and it was very interesting. Some students appeared bored. I knew a few students who did not have business classes in school, so they were at a disadvantage when testing. A majority of the students were outgoing and enthusiastic, however, and cheered for their schoolmates who won prizes. From East, FBLA winners were:

• 3rd Place in Business Basics: Landon Gurley
  • 3rd Place in Accounting and Financial Management: Chase Miza
  • 3rd Place in Computer Science and Information Technology: Cole Snyder
  • 2nd Place in Marketing, Sales, and Communication: Addison Meyers
  • 1st Place in Accounting and Financial Management: Nicole Cochran

The business battle improves students’ social skills and offers experience testing under pressure, both real-world competencies important for students to master for the future. A gathering like this between schools is a wonderful chance to bond with other students from around the state and to compare learning experiences that may be different than your own. Seeing students from different grade levels talk to each other like they have known each other for a long time is amazing.

The Concord Business Challenge is a great opportunity for students. Be sure to look out for the sign-ups next year so you too can be a part of this valuable experience!