Behind the Scenes: Cadence Stewart

“Hard work eventually beats talent and hard work is the only way for success. Nothing that’s worth wanting comes easily.”

Stewart makes a shot!

Indigo Graves, Staff Writer

Cadence Stewart, a junior at East, is a brilliant student athlete. Not only does she excel in academics, she has also scored over 1000 points in her high school basketball career so far. Many people wonder what she will do with the athletic and academic skills she possess.

Recently, Stewart shared with me a look into her life outside of basketball, and what she plans to do following graduation.   

“I am always hungry!” Stewart said when asked what most people don’t know about her. She also explained her game day rituals. “Here’s a fun fact: I always eat the same food on game days. My game day snack is an applesauce in third period, and a bag of grapes in fourth period. For lunch I have a peanut butter and strawberry jelly Uncrustable and a peppermint chip Chobani Flip. Before every home game I go to Manic Espresso and get a mango smoothie after the pregame dinner.”

Of course we all want to know the method to Stewart’s madness, the work ethic behind the talent, and the secrets to her skill. Stewart explained: “Hard work eventually beats talent and hard work is the only way for success. Nothing that’s worth wanting comes easily.”

After high school, Stewart plans to play collegiate basketball while earning her undergraduate degree. After that, she plans to go on to medical school to become an orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in sports medicine.