Op-Ed: Is the STOPit App Effective?

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Mental-Health-Comorbidities.aspx

Mental health plays an important role in a young person’s life. Bullying is not acceptable at school or anywhere else.

Natasha Pack, Staff Writer

I understand what it can be like going through a tough time in your personal life, then going through the everyday school cycle on top if it. Sometimes peer behavior that I and other students encounter at school can make an already difficult situation even more stressful to the point where it affects a person’s mental health. So I was hopeful when  Greenbrier East introduced the STOPit app at the beginning of this school year, and I have come to believe it is effective.

What does the app do? STOPit Solutions touts the program as a way to stop “bullying, hazing, violence, and inappropriate behavior on and offline” by alerting school administrators to problematic behavior. Reports are completely anonymous.

The STOPit app is preloaded on your school Chromebook’s dashboard. To generate a report, you just tap the “Report” button to send a message, screenshot, or photo or video evidence of harmful behavior to people who can help.

According to mentalhealth.gov, “Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.” I feel the STOPit program is persuading East students to be more aware of the important part mental health plays in a young person’s life, and to understand that bullying is not acceptable at school or anywhere else.

Click this link to watch a short video on how to use STOPit.