Covid Is the Worst

Technically speaking, if you’ve always wanted to join marching band, next year would be a good year to start because more than half the band will be new. 

Kayla Buckmaster, Staff Writer

This year the Spartan Marching Band has had to make a lot of changes due to Covid. Sadly, seniors are missing out on senior traditions while our rookies are missing out on first-year traditions. Overnight camp helps the band bond to where it’s like a second family for most of its members, but this year camp, which includes long hours of practice, late nights at the campfire with Kojak, and sometimes visits with Tasha, was cancelled. 

You might be wondering what precautions band has taken this year to stay safe (luckily, we’ve had no members test positive so far). A big change, of course, was wearing masks at all times, except while playing. If you watched the band this year I’m sure you noticed the bell covers; their purpose is to stop the air particles from exiting the instrument. Some instruments are safer to play due to the distance air has to travel to exit. For example a flute is more dangerous to play without a cover than a tuba. 

Cedric Allder practices with a bell cover on his horn. (Kayla Buckmaster)

I talked to our band director Jim Allder to hear his perspective, and from a teaching standpoint he said he’s had to change everything except his attitude and goals. He feels as if the students had a great attitude towards this season considering all they’ve lost. Jackson Hefner (a senior in drumline) said that he was sad we didn’t get to do the planned show (Dark Side Of Oz), a bummer for many members. We would not have been able to perform Oz to it’s full potential due to WVSSAC restrictions. For example, no moving around on the field besides getting on and off. 

Allder pointed out that this year could potentially impact many future band seasons. Athletics have been  disrupted by Covid–think especially of seniors who wanted to get signed; however, I don’t think the disruption was as severe as band’s. Band will have a hard time recruiting new members because our show wasn’t as appealing as it usually is. You will find, looking down at the middle school, that not as many students are being started off on instruments. The current seventh grade also lost half of an instructional year where the basics for reading music are learned. Technically speaking, if you’ve always wanted to join marching band, next year would be a good year to start because more than half the band will be new. 

After asking around I’ve come to the conclusion that not being able to go to competitions is the most missed band activity. That said, all of the extracurricular groups are extremely lucky to even get the chance to be together this year; some states didn’t even allow students to go to school, let alone play sports. I know I, along with many other seniors, am thankful for one last season.