Students’ Seasonal Affective Disorder

Looking for small things to celebrate or look forward to can make a positive impact on a person’s emotional health.

Anna Wilcox, Staff Writer

Are you familiar with the term “seasonal affective disorder” (SAD)? SAD is a negative change in your mood based on the season and overall weather. Naturally, most of us are affected by such changes. Some may have a harder time than others, though.

General symptoms of SAD include: feeling depressed for most of the day nearly every day, losing interest in activities, low energy, sleeping issues, appetite and weight changes, sluggishness, agitation, difficulty concentrating, and hopelessness. People are mostly affected by the transition of fall into winter. Winter-related SAD symptoms consist of: oversleeping, craving carbohydrate-packed foods, weight gain, tiredness, and a lack of energy.

Looking for small things to celebrate or look forward to can make a positive impact on a person’s emotional health. A good example would be the many approaching holidays and the festivities that accompany them. However, holidays can also add to many people’s stress levels, according to the Mayo Clinic. Although less common, spring to summer SAD affects students as well, as summer isolates them from their friends. Summer SAD symptoms include: trouble sleeping, poor appetite, weight loss, agitation, and anxiety. The silver-lining with summer is the many outdoor activities once again available. Soaking up some sun-rays and getting a healthy dose of Vitamin D can be extremely beneficial.

If you relate to many of the symptoms listed, making the effort to think positively can benefit your mood. Wherever you are, stop and focus on the many details surrounding you. What scents do you smell? What small item is dancing in the wind pleasantly? Do you see any insects? If so, watch them interact with their large world. Can you feel soft fabrics? Rough ones? Taking the time to focus on such little things can create a feeling of contentment strong enough to combat seasonal depression.