Is “Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir” worth watching?

The+main+Miraculous+superheroes.+Credit%3A+Playmates+Toys+

The main Miraculous superheroes. Credit: Playmates Toys

Kinsey Baldwin, Staff Writer

“Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir” is an animated series. It is designed for children, but teens and young adults enjoy the show too. The main characters are two high school students, Marinette and Adrian. Marinette is a French high school student; she and her parents work and live in the bakery they run. Marinette is also secretly Ladybug, the superhero with the gift of creation and the guardian of the Chinese Miracle box. Adrien is also a French high school student. His mom has passed away and his father is a globally-known designer for his company, Gabriel. Adrien’s father is so busy he barely speaks to him, but his assistant Natalie helps raise Adrien. Adrien is secretly Cat Noir, a superhero with the power of destruction.  

Ladybug and Cat Noir’s purpose of being superheroes is to defeat Hawkmoth, a villain with the power of transmission. Hawkmoth’s real identity is Gabriel Agreste (Adrian’s father), but nobody knows this. Hawkmoth finds people who have unexpected negative feelings and akumatizes them. Akumatizing is like possession in that the person akumatized can’t remember things when akumatized, but they gain the power they secretly want. For example, say you’re upset because you heard a lie about you. Hawkmoth might then give you the power to keep people from telling lies in exchange for your taking Ladybug and Cat Noir’s “miraculous.” Their miraculous are the jewels that give them their powers and make them superheroes. Hawkmoth wants their miraculous because if he has both the jewels of creation and destruction, he can make one wish for anything. However, when someone makes a wish with a miraculous jewel, there’s always something bad to balance the wish. So Ladybug and Cat Noir fight Hawkmoth for the greater good of the world.

Teen and young adult viewers watch for the romance aspect of the show. In Miraculous seasons one through four, Marinette loves Adrien, and Adrien loves Ladybug; the love square switches in the beginning of season five when Adrien falls in love with Marinette as herself. Teens find it hard not to watch because they find the impossible love square intriguing.  Miraculous fan and Tiktoker @squishytoewater stated, “To me, the show is interesting because of the relationship drama between Adrien and Marinette. Adrien is famous and Marinette is just a normal girl. He’s very oblivious, and the love square often changes.”  

The show was created and broadcast on Netflix, but then Disney bought it out. Viewers were able to watch Miraculous seasons one through three on Netflix through January 31st. Season four and the first half of season five are now available on Disney+. The newest episodes are available on Disney Channel. There is a new movie coming out based on the show called “Ladybug & Cat Noir: The Movie.” It is created by the same producer and uses the same voice actors. The animation quality for the movie is much better than the show. The movie’s budget is 86 million dollars. The release date is July 5th, 2023. You can watch film trailers on YouTube, but they’re not available in English.