Lady Spartans: The Sectional Champs!

Kayli DePriest, Staff Writer

With a packed Friday night gym, the heat was really on!

On February 25, Greenbrier East’s Lady Spartans took on rival Woodrow Wilson’s Flying Eagles for the title of sectional champions and came away with a 49-34 win.

Players who took the court during this intense but easy lead game include: Allie Dunford, Cadence Stewart, Brooke Davis, Daisha Summers, Layla Pence, Aubrey Glover, Lillie Shinnaberry, Taylor Boswell, Josie Patterson, and Kenna Sheppard.

Junior Cadence Stewart finished the game with a whopping 19 points, and seniors Allie Dunford and Brooke Davis scored 11 points each, pushing the team to its final 15-point lead.

“Assistant Coach” Caroline Dotson, a freshman, had to sit out this game, but still managed to be as supportive and uplifting to her teammates as possible. “It was a little upsetting not being able to play,” Dotson said of her stint as a spectator, “but I am very proud of my team–they are very good basketball players so I had faith in them.”

Tomorrow night, March 2, the Lady Spartans will host George Washington High. “We’ve beat ’em twice in a regular season, but the last game we won only by 4-6 points,” said head coach Jim Justice. “They’re a really good team, and they’re well coached–so we’ll have to really be ready. The bottom line is we always try to play our last game in Charleston. No matter win or lose, we gotta get to Charleston, and if we play our last game down there, we’ve done pretty good.”

The Lady Spartans need your support! Staff, students, and families, come on out tomorrow and show the girls your pride!