Cross Country State Meet 2019

Abbey Londeree and Brandon Tuckwiller at regionals after finding out they made it to states.

Micah Fisher, Staff Writer

This year, GEHS was represented by two students at West Virginia’s 2019 Cross Country State Meet. In order to qualify for states, they had to place in the top 11 at regionals, which freshman Abbey Londeree (6th) and senior Brandon Tuckwiller (11th) did. They both ran their best and had a good  meet with some tough competition.

On November 2, Tuckwiller and Londeree traveled to Ona, WV, for the state meet, accompanied by most of their teammates for support. Our qualifiers did not disappoint: Londeree placed 53rd out of 88 runners, and Tuckwiller placed 56th out of 92 runners. 

A close team can be key to a successful season, and Tuckwiller says he really loves his team and coaches. In this, his senior year, seven years’ experience running gave him the competitive edge he needed to place in the top 60 out of all of WV. After that second mile, when he was tired and wanted to quit, he said to himself, “Never give up. Keep going.” Tuckwiller says he has improved over the years, but is still deciding whether to run in college.

Londeree, who has enjoyed running cross country since 6th-grade, made it to the state level in her first year of high school! Cross country is a tough sport that takes lots of dedication and determination, but she loves testing her limits and seeing what she can achieve. While running, Londeree keeps positive thoughts going through her head. “What I think about to keep me going is, when your legs can’t run anymore, run with your heart.” 

The girls almost made it to states as a team, and the boys’ team ran a great season, too. Each runner set new personal records this meet season. All the team members look out for each other, and push their teammates to be the best they can be. Junior Malachi Crews knew he wouldn’t be able to attend the state meet due to SAT testing, yet he took it upon himself to run at regionals just to help Brandon Tuckwiller pace himself and make it to states. 

GEHS business teacher Kristi Caraway, assistant cross country coach, says, “We are proud of all of our runners, and hope the team will grow and prosper next year!”