The Student News Site of Greenbrier East High School

Getty Images

There are so many ways to help people or to change the way that people view mental health.

TEEN: The Reality of Mental Health

“An estimated 3.8 million adolescents aged 12 to 17 in the United States had at least one major depressive episode.”

February 8, 2022

Teens Today

In today’s world, many influences can plant depression in people, especially teens. According to a 2020 survey from the National Institute of Mental Health, “An estimated 3.8 million adolescents aged 12 to 17 in the United States had at least one major depressive episode.”

In this age of technological advancement, with just a tiny computer that fits into a teen’s back pocket, any thing is accessible. Social media can negatively affect anyone without them directly realizing it. These effects range anywhere from bullying, to body image, to comparison of your life to others’ lives. Social media creates an unrealistic idea of people’s lives, how they look, and what they do, planting a feeling of disappointment into teens’ lives.

Society

Not only does social media create mental health issues, but society neglects to address them. Experiencing mental health issues in America is looked down upon. People categorize suffering teens as “crazy” or “attention seeking,” which obviously doesn’t help anyone’s situation. Society categorizes depression as “laziness” and anxiety as “being dramatic” rather than simply acknowledging that someone needs support in their life. Having mental health issues or even taking care of your mental health has a negative connotation. Anyone who has experienced depression or anxiety knows that you get stuck in a helpless feeling, not knowing what to do about it.

Change

There are so many ways to help people or to change the way that people view mental health. If you yourself are experiencing symptoms of depression, reach out, talk about how you feel, explain to people what you are experiencing. That will not only benefit you, but it will inspire others to help or to get help. A simple “How are you?” can totally change someone’s day.

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal or harmful thoughts about themselves or another don’t hesitate to reach out.

Help Hotlines

CALL- 800-273-8255

TEXT- type HOME to 741741

The Spartan Shield • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

The Spartan Shield intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Spartan Shield does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All The Spartan Shield Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *