Recap of the First Two Episodes of WandaVision

Explaining things you might have missed…

Poster of WandaVision.

Poster of WandaVision.

Liana Brooks, Staff Writer

On January 15, Disney+ released a first-ever Marvel series called WandaVision. According to Disney+, “WandaVision is a blend of classic television and the Marvel Cinematic Universe in which Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany), two super-powered being living idealized suburban lives, begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems. The new series is directed by Matt Shakman; Jac Schaeffer is head writer.”

So far only three episodes have aired, but a new episode is released every Friday. Already fans have picked up a lot of information, and also developed several theories from Easter eggs–insider messages, images, or features hidden within media. Here are a few things I think are most important. 

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS

We should remember that the last time we saw Wanda Maximoff was in Avengers Endgame at Tony’s funeral, and the last time we saw Vision was in Avengers Infinity War, and he had died. At the beginning of WandaVision the screen looks like an old television set screen and the show is in black and white. Vision and Wanda are newlyweds moving into a town called Westview. Marvel’s plan is for each episode to represent an old show that aired in that time period. For example, the first episode relates to  I Love Lucy (1951) and The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961). The set of WandaVision looks like Dick Van Dyke’s kitchen. The second episode’s intro was just like Bewitched‘s (1964) and the third episode was set in the house and backyard of 1969’s The Brady Bunch. Marvel says they will also reference shows like The Office and Modern Family.

Throughout WandaVision there are retro “commercials,” too, including an ad for a toaster called the Toast Mate 2000. The Direct.com states that, “The infomercial starts with a toaster burning a few slices of bread, causing a presenter to ask an outdated question to the female viewer: ‘Is your husband tired of you burning his toast?’ The male presenter walks over to a female co-host, as they introduce the Toast Mate 2000 to boast its revolutionary features. The female presenter pushes down on the lever of the contraption, causing a familiar sound effect of Iron Man’s repulsors to be heard. A light starts blinking. After showing a selection of food items that work well with the Toast Mate 2000, the light turns to a red hue, despite the lack of color elsewhere in frame. This light is accompanied by a beeping noise, getting incessantly faster. The beeping continues for much too long afterwards, to the female presenter’s dismay. Something is amiss. The commercial then reveals that the product is made by Stark Industries. A tagline rounds out the advert: ‘Forget the past, this is your future!’”

Fans have speculated that these commercials have to do with trauma throughout Wanda’s life. For example, the Toaster Mate 2000 has to do with the deaths of Wanda’s parents, because in Avengers Age of Ultron Wanda and her twin brother Pietro remember their parents’ deaths caused by a Stark Industries bomb that landed in their home. One of the bombs didn’t detonate, but it was a long nerve-wracking wait. So what does that have to do with a toaster? The first toaster shown burning the toast represents the first bomb that killed Wanda and her twin brother’s parents. The second toaster doesn’t burn the toast, but it takes a very long time–just as Wanda and Pietro survived, but suffered waiting to see if the bomb would detonate. Wanda has made this terrible memory into something more pleasant.

A “commercial” in the second episode shows a watch called The Strucker and on that watch is the HYDRA symbol. Baron Wolfgang von Strucker in Avengers Age of Ultron was a HYDRA scientist who experimented on Wanda and Pietro, using the Mind Stone to develop their powers. 

As episode 1 closes, Wanda and Vision are sitting on a couch and Vision is holding a remote. As Wanda uses her magic to make wedding rings, the couple kiss and Vision hits a button on the remote. As the “credits” roll, your screen begins to expand like it’s on a normal TV screen and shows a TV with Wanda and Vision on it and a bunch of high tech stuff monitoring Wanda and Vision in their show. Watch closely, because one of the credits names Abe Brown as the director. Abe Brown is one of the students who go to Midtown School of Science and Technology along with Peter Parker (Spider-Man). Abe is seen in the film Spider-Man: Homecoming and he is a part of the decathlon team. According to The Direct.com, “In Marvel Comics, Abe Brown is a martial artist with the codename, Black Tiger. He is an African-American from the streets of Harlem who is a member of the Sons of the Tigers. In MCU canon, Abe Brown is actually a character from Spider-Man: Homecoming, who is played by Abraham Attah. Brown served as one of Peter Parker’s classmates from Midtown School of Science and Technology, and he later survived Thanos’ snap.”

Another thing you see as the credits roll is someone’s arm from the elbow down. He is in a high-tech room, and shuts off the TV he is watching with a remote just like Vision’s. The screen shows sword-like symbols that represent the agency SWORD (Sentient World Observation and Response Department). SWORD is where Monica Rambow, Darcy Lewis, and Jimmy Woo come into play.

Believe it or not, those are only a few of many theories and Easter eggs fans are finding out. There are many more to come, so be sure to watch WandaVision on Disney+ every Friday.